This is the place for my rants, raves, reviews and just general "stuff". May you be amused, enlightened, and perhaps even a little pissed off.

2.26.2006

Another Natural Law Discovered!

As I go about my daily life I try to be observant. Thinking a little more deeply about things, I sometimes find some patterns, or that what I have observed fits in with some other patterns. Some of those patterns can be loosely described as "Natural Laws". Not the laws of man, or synthesized by science, but truisms that just sort of work.

I found one such Natural Law on friday. Our Son had participated in the local science fair and did a very good job. I was sitting around at the end waiting for the thing to end and one of the parents was getting into a heated discussion about the results of his childs project. From what I could gather he had a second grader and was about to come unglued because of what one or more of the judges expressed in their grading. He was having this fit in the middle of the room and people were kinda looking funny at what was going on. The sad thing is that he was doing this in front of the child, but thats another matter entirely. Anyways, there were lots of comments about how this was going to destroy the enthusiasm of the child and that they would never come back. Blah blah blah. Perhaps it was the parent ranting and raving that would do that for them. But there was a problem with his argument. He was standing there, having his fit, with a plate that contained a potato with some wires sticking out of it. I found it very very hard to take him seriously while he was holding a wired potato. Think about how history would have been changed by this. If Patrick Henry would have been holding a wire potato, would his "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" speech have been as powerful? Martin Luther King was not wired potato equipped and was thusly very successful in his "I Have A Dream" speech.

So the Natural Law that you should take away from this is that if you wish to be taken seriously, don't stand there with any sort of wired tuber. It need not be just a potato, as I suspect that any wired form of radish, onion, or carrot will be just as problematic. It's not just a good idea, ITS THE LAW!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home